Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Withdrawing Hand


When I first studied martial arts (40 years ago) I was instructed to pull one hand back strongly to my hip or (in a few cases) abdomen. Pull it back strongly, I was instructed, to strengthen the outgoing hand. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, Isaac Newton figured out. So, by pulling back strongly, I was to add force to my strike. I never questioned this, because I'm a sucker for science-themed explanations.

Years later, I met Sensei George Dillman. He said the withdrawing hand (hiki-te) is extremely important as a devastating component of pressure point techniques. "Watch this hand," he would quietly tell me whenever I asked him to show me a new point or a new knock-out. As a result, I now seek to be a student of hiki-te, an aficionado of the withdrawing hand. Enjoy this little video mini-blog.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say thank you for the great series on interpretation of movement.

    Good stuff...please keep 'em coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm just thinking that your uki (partner) is getting just a little sick of Ken's question.

    ReplyDelete